So, before removing mould spores, you must first find the leading cause. This can be coming from an external source or internal. A drippy drain pipe on the exterior wall can cause moisture to seep through the brickwork, causing damp spots inside your property.
Mould can also be caused by internal causes such as poor ventilation and condensation. Much heated air in the bathroom or kitchen crashes into colder air on surfaces such as window panes and external walls with wallpaper.
Once you have determined the main issue, you can look at how to remove and kill mould, stopping it in its tracks. So before you reach for the bleach and any other harsh chemicals, know that bleach is not a cleaning product that will do any good fighting against mould. We want to help you find an eco-friendly, safe product that can be used around children, pets and even allergy sufferers.
After all, removing the mould protects your health, so
you want to ensure whatever cleaning products you use aren’t going to cause damage to your health. You need to ensure that once the removal process has been started, there is correct ventilation to allow the cleaned area to dry thoroughly.
Table of Contents
Don’t forget mould and moisture.
There are a few ways to ensure that your property is correctly ventilated. Some choose to purchase dehumidifiers. However, this option can be costly on your energy bills, and these units require regular maintenance and regular cleaning.
Some more cost-friendly methods include using some of the following cleaning products that can be found in most of your household pantries:
Nearly everyone will have a box of baking soda in the cleaning cupboard. This stuff is used in so many cleaning methods that it is a common item in your home. Its neutral pH makes it safe to use around everyone in the household, including pets and children. It works by absorbing the moisture that mould requires to grow. It also kills mould spores and deodorises the area, leaving no mouldy, damp, or small behind.
Because of the absorption also allows the site to dry quickly, which is essential when fighting mould. You must begin by sprinkling baking soda directly onto the affected area and let it sit for approximately 1 hour. Then, using a stiff bristle brush, scrub the site thoroughly and wipe off any soda residue. Finally, rinse with warm, soapy water to remove any remaining mould. Always let the area completely dry by allowing as much airflow as possible.
Another natural solution is vinegar.
Vinegar is naturally acidic and kills 80 per cent of mould species. Again, it is entirely safe to use around children and pets. Mix 1 part vinegar with 1 part water and put it into a spray bottle. Please apply to the affected area and let it sit for approximately 1 hour.
After the recommended time, wipe the area using a damp cloth. This is to remove the acidic solution. Finally, again, allow the site to dry, providing correct ventilation. With this method, you may notice a lingering smell of vinegar briefly but don’t worry. This will disappear within a couple of hours. Vinegar is a very effective method for removing mould from all surfaces. Even clothing can be soaked in vinegar to kill off mould spores.